Re: high resolution floating point

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: high resolution floating point
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:39:51 +0000

On 5 February 2014 15:19, CdeMills <address@hidden> wrote:
> Carnë Draug-4 wrote
>> I really don't think that's a good idea. We should not be shadowing
>> functions of other packages (exception made for packages whose purpose
>> is to actually do it such as NaN). That's what dependencies are for.
>> And the vpa function belongs to the symbolic package (following the
>> logic that packages will mimic the functions in Matlab's toolboxes) so
>> it should not be moved from one place to other.
>>
>> Now, I understand that the symbolic package is unmaintained and
>> severely broken. If nothing else besides vpa works, just remove them
>> (hey! we have a revision control system, let's use it) and make a
>> release with what works if you need it.
>
> As I understand things,  GiNac mixes symbolic manipulations with high
> resolution computation based upon the GNU GMP lib. My purposes are:
> 1) provide some decent interface to MPFR, which is addendum to GMP handling
> rounding issues
> 2) let's implement and fix high resolution computation as short term target.

Yes. But if you are doing via implementing/fixing/expanding vpa,
please do this in the symbolic package where it belongs. Do not import
it from symbolic into multi-precision package, so that later, needs to
be moved into the symbolic package again. Just do it on the symbolic
package.

As I said, if reports are to be trusted, nothing else aside vpa works
in the symbolic package. So remove the everything else from symbolic.

Carnë