Re: changeset included in a particular tag

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: Re: changeset included in a particular tag
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 18:13:12 -0700

--
On 02/03/2014 10:44 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

> >Yes, for my part I'd say that would be a great feature to have. Glenn
> >replied privately to me saying that that is actually closer to what he
> >is looking for, a way for a user (not a developer) to see whether a
> >particular changeset is present in a particular (tagged and released)
> >Octave version, without having to clone the repository.

Yes, my original question was too sparse, so let me expand on it a bit.

The question was whether there exists some "standard" way for an ordinary
user like myself -- as opposed to a developer, who presumably has access
to various Mercurial tools on his system -- to determine whether a particular
changeset is present in the numbered released version of Octave that he
happens to be using.

This is an essential need when filing bug reports: During his search to see
whether the bug has already been reported, the reporter may come across a
changeset that claims to have fixed it, or is related to it. Should he file
the report or not? It depends on the time relationship between the changeset
and the Octave version() in which he noticed the putative bug. If his version
doesn't include the bugfix changeset, then of course it doesn't make sense to
file the report and waste developers' time reporting something that has
potentially been taken care of already.  Otoh, if his Octave version was
created after the changeset date, then he probably wants to file the report
stating that the problem is not fixed, or not fixed entirely, or whatever
the case may be.

Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> [2014-02-03 23:09:18 -0600]:

> I was going to mention something along these lines a few days ago when I
> noticed that the default Mercurial server has something called "file log"
> which is a nice option for seeing the history of just a particular file.
> But that doesn't appear on Savannah.
>
> I've just now gone to
>
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/
>
> and did a search with a changeset from a few weeks ago: bd9d34f28b0f
>
> That changeset appears first in the list.  Selecting the line bring up the
> webpage associate with the changeset.  Selecting "graph" then goes to the
> point in the graph where the changeset is.
>
> Is that enough to determine if the changeset is in a particular branch?  Or
> is the preferred result more of a yes/no type of command?

I did something similar, except searched for the string "snapshot", after
noticing in the web-based Mercurial log that John seems to have been
consistently titling the numbered releases as such.  Unfortunately, the result
from that search gives the list of dates in useless fuzzy-relative form
("8 months ago") but if you click on each one, you can learn the exact release
snapshot date from the log entry. Then you can compare those dates to the date
of any particular changeset that you're interested in.

The above is not difficult, but I was just wondeirng if there was a less
"manual" way to accomplish the same thing. It seems like it ought to be a
fairly standard thing that folks want to do pretty often.