Re: Updating our project ideas

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Updating our project ideas
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 17:05:32 -0500

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Nir Krakauer <address@hidden> wrote:
It's time to start getting http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this coming summer.

Can people who know tell me how far are we've already accomplished the goals for

1) Incomplete sparse factorization (Kai?)
2) Finite Element library (Marco? Carlo?)
3) Matlab-compatible ODE solvers and geometric integration in odepkg (Roberto? Carlo?)
4) Audio processing (Mike?)
5) Any other listed projects

This is the information for the projects I have some authority/knowledge/interest.

3.3.1 Lightning

Nothing done.

3.3.2 Object selection in OpenGL renderer

There is a working version in QtHandles. This could be part of a larger project of merging QtHandles into octave (e.g. idea 3.2.2). I know John has mentioned he was willing to look into it, but I don't know how far he got.

3.3.3 Non-OpenGL renderer

Nothing done.

3.3.4 TeX/LaTeX support

Octave has initial support for TeX interpreter in labels and text objects, for on-screen display. Full LaTeX support was the topic of a GSoC project last year, and got to a point similar to the TeX interpreter (that is, on-screen display). There is no support for printing for any of those 2 interpreters, and AFAIK the LaTeX interpreter has never been integrated into octave.

3.4.3 Implement classdef classes

Although incomplete, the default branch of octave contains already a bunch of classdef functionalities. I think this project is a bit too vague/wide. Now that the classdef branch has been merged back into default, I believe this could be narrowed down and refocused a bit. For instance, the project(s) could be:
- add support for events
- add support for enums
- add support for "import"

3.5.2 Improve binary packaging

This was also the topic of a GSoC last year and some improvement has been made in MXE to streamline compilation with MinGW. However I believe that the installer could be largely improved. For instance, we could provide pre-compiled forge packages, instead of requiring users to compile them.

Michael.