Re: changeset included in a particular tag

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: changeset included in a particular tag
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 22:07:51 -0600

On 02/04/2014 07:13 PM, Glenn Golden wrote:

Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>  [2014-02-03 23:09:18 -0600]:

I was going to mention something along these lines a few days ago when I
noticed that the default Mercurial server has something called "file log"
which is a nice option for seeing the history of just a particular file.
But that doesn't appear on Savannah.

I've just now gone to

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/

and did a search with a changeset from a few weeks ago: bd9d34f28b0f

That changeset appears first in the list.  Selecting the line bring up the
webpage associate with the changeset.  Selecting "graph" then goes to the
point in the graph where the changeset is.

Is that enough to determine if the changeset is in a particular branch?  Or
is the preferred result more of a yes/no type of command?

I did something similar, except searched for the string "snapshot", after
noticing in the web-based Mercurial log that John seems to have been
consistently titling the numbered releases as such.  Unfortunately, the result
from that search gives the list of dates in useless fuzzy-relative form
("8 months ago") but if you click on each one, you can learn the exact release
snapshot date from the log entry. Then you can compare those dates to the date
of any particular changeset that you're interested in.

I don't like the relative age list either. In the past when searching for when a bug might have found its way into the code I much prefer an actual date in the list. It depends actually. If the changeset is within the past few days, or day, then relative age is somewhat useful. But not when it gets beyond a week and there are hundreds of changesets for which to guess "60 previous" or "120 previous", etc.

The above is not difficult, but I was just wondeirng if there was a less
"manual" way to accomplish the same thing. It seems like it ought to be a
fairly standard thing that folks want to do pretty often.

Maybe a nice starting project for someone inquiring about contributing would be to build an Octave-specific command "mercurial" that does a few simple things _if_ the tools happen to be present on the user's machine. (I.e., don't make such a function part of the install script... just tell the user what is missing at run time.)

For example, perhaps:

mercurial('changeset')

ans = '132667955f66'

The changeset ID can be gotten at compile time from the following:

[sebald src]# hg id
132667955f66+ tip

Note that the + appeared because I edited one of the files so that there are some uncommitted changes. It shouldn't be too difficult to incorporate the "hg id" command into a Makefile, I would think.

How about:

mercurial('clone')

will use some of the new dialog boxes to ask the user if s/he would like to clone the repository, choose the directory where to place it, then proceed to issue the system commands and internet addresses that will do the clone. It could launch tortoise-hg and update to the ID number that is gotten from the "mercurial('changeset')" command.

Does that seem like something useful Glenn?  Might be a good GSOC project.

Dan