Re: Updating our project ideas

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: Updating our project ideas
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 09:51:25 +0000

On 05/02/2014 20:59, Nir Krakauer wrote:
It's time to start getting
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas into shape for this
coming summer.

Can people who know tell me how far are we've already accomplished the
goals for

1) Incomplete sparse factorization (Kai?)
2) Finite Element library (Marco? Carlo?)
3) Matlab-compatible ODE solvers and geometric integration in odepkg
(Roberto? Carlo?)
4) Audio processing (Mike?)
5) Any other listed projects

Thanks,

Nir

Hi,

The Qucs project was a project to link Qucs, a GPL circuit solver with a nice graphical interface, and many advanced features to Octave. Qucs is a circuit simulator, but also has many ideal elements such as differentiators, step functions, interpolation routines etc.

Regarding the interface to Qucs, the m-code link to Qucs works, most Qucs functionality is now in a shared library, and it can be called from m-code quite easily. The only missing piece for Octave is that the interface is based on classdef, and requires you to be able to call parent class function using the @ syntax, which last time I checked had not been implemented.

What this means, is that Qucs is not very far from being a free version of The Mathworks Smulink(TM) product (although not compatible in any way). I could therefore imagine some projects around this, if the classdef was ready in time (I'm not demanding this or anything, just saying this is required before this can be used with Octave).

In terms of circuit simulation, such a system would be far in advance of Simulink and its SimPowerSystems add-on.

Regards,
Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.