Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 15:10:39 +0100

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Julien Hamilton
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
> wrote:

>> > <snip>

>> > Someone organising the main octave website, including possibly a
>> > redesign of
>> > it (don't get me wrong, it's ok, but not a patch on the slick efforts
>> > of,
>> > for example, SciLab, or http://www.python.org/) would in my option be a
>> > major aid to Octave.
>> >
>> > Similarly someone managing releases, and ensuring all information was
>> > being
>> > updated everywhere simultaneously on a release, and perhaps organising
>> > promotion of the release, would in my opinion help the project. It would
>> > also free up some core developer time from these important but
>> > non-coding
>> > tasks.
>> >
>> > Just my two cents,
>> > Richard Crozier
>> >
>> > --
>> > The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
>> > Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
>> >

>> All good ideas! So how do you plan to implement those? Go a head and
>> how you would handle this. Also, make sure you will be able to put
>> some of your time till things get rolling.
>

> Yes we should go step by step and here is what I propose:
>
> 1. Redesign the list of Octave projects with something more dynamic:
> I already have some ideas but I will do some research. Then I will propose
> to you guys a basic proof of concept that will be the starting point for
> discussions, comments, etc, to be sure that it matches your developer's
> needs. My goal is to use only free & open source products and something
> simple (no large and complex project management system). I think it will be
> more like a list of tasks with priorities, difficulties, progess, etc.
> I will also include a roadmap of the releases.

Make sure you consult JordiGH and John (jwe) about this (IRC maybe
best place for quick feedback). they might reach to FSF to know what
options can be installed in their servers. Basically one needs a
improved version of savannah.

> 2. Redesign of the website:
> The goal here is to propose a new design of the Octave's website. Here again
> we will start with a proof of concept. I understand your concerns about a
> "corporate" website and the spirit of free software. That's why it will be
> important to have open discussions before and during the proof of concept.
> I'm not a web developer but I'm sure we can find someone would will be happy
> to contribute and help us.

Please do take Agora into account for this. You should try Agora out
and see if you come with new ideas about it. It is mainly inspired by
the functionalities in the StackExchange sites, that sadly are not
libre.
Also note that there are 2 websites, GNU Octave  and Octave Forge. The
second one may be needing more urgent attention than the first one.
You should contact carandraug on this matter (also on IRC).