Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM

From: Markus
Subject: Re: Contribution to Octave as a PM
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 16:34:24 +0100

Am 2014-02-06 13:55, schrieb Julien Hamilton:
On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Philip Nienhuis
<address@hidden> wrote:

Please don't top post. Answer below the mail:

Julien Hamilton wrote

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
&lt;

ajuanpi+dev@

&gt;wrote:

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Julien Hamilton
&lt;

julien.hamilton@

&gt; wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I agree it should not be all about the money. I was just
giving an
example
> where libre software can be created by paid developments.
>
> My idea here is to help to make Octave a little bit more
popular and
> attractive to contributors, and not to go against GNU
principles.

ajuanpi+dev@

> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:09 PM, fgnievinski &lt;

fgnievinski@

&gt;

wrote:
>> > Agreed; we could borrow from AOO:
>> > &lt;http://www.openoffice.org/why/&gt [1];

> "Great software; Easy to use; and it's free!"
>> > -F.
>> >

>> > On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 6:33 AM, CdeMills [via Octave]
<[hidden
email]>

from
funding.
seems
adaquate
countries
where
dubious
ancestry
and
diffuse

argument; we
should

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Contribution-to-Octave-as-a-PM-tp4661600p4661634.html
[2]

Nabble.com.

>> I do not think this is exactly the message we want to
highlight
>> "and it's free
>> Best of all, Apache OpenOffice can be downloaded and used
entirely
>> free of any license fees."
>>
>> It is not best of all, it is a consequence of the other
values we are
>> trying to promote: freedom.
>> I would not even highlight this point but the other
advantages of
>> libre software.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html [3]

Julien,
Sure, and is great that people with your background join in. I
fully
support your initiative. but I think is important to highlight
this
little details earlier better than later.

It would be awesome if at some point we could organize an Octave
contest...with prizes! :D

Haha why not Juan!

Yes it's always a challenge when you want to improve a software,
making it
more "corporate", but with staying with the basic principles. I
was
thinking about the fact that Octave offers functions to connect
to the
nonfree software Microsoft Excel.

What exactly do you mean by that?

Philip

Hi Philip,

I mean that according to the free software mouvement we should avoid
using *any* nonfree software. The fact that Octave offers an interface
to Excel can be see by some people as a contradiction to this
principle. Don't you think?

OOXML (.xlsx) is an open standard (ISO/IEC 29500, ECMA-376). Strictly speaking, Excel is just a "proparitary editor" for an "open standard".
Furthermore, xlsread is needed to be code compatible with Matlab.

Markus