Re: [forge] Preparing a new release of the GSL package

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: [forge] Preparing a new release of the GSL package
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 00:41:39 -0500

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 12:39:39 -0500, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> Does anyone have time for a quick look at the GSL package configure script
> so that we can make a new release? See below from Carnë.

I took a very quick look, at the very least you probably want to have
configure error out when the gsl library or mkoctfile are not found. The
current script does notice when gsl is not found, but it just warns and
exits with success.

I agree with Carnë's comment, a lot of stuff in there looks unnecessary
and crufty from the days of monolithic Forge. The image package's
configure.ac is a good example, it's much more concise and only tests
what it needs. It also shows how to error when mkoctfile isn't found.

Ideally, you'd probably want configure to determine and export GSL_LIBS
into Makeconf rather than hardcoding the linker option in Makefile as
it's doing now.

That's about all I have time for for now, do you need more help
implementing these fixes?

--
mike