Re: Towards more portable MEX compilations (with focus on the Mac)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Towards more portable MEX compilations (with focus on the Mac)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 03:29:11 -0500

On 02/12/2014 12:47 AM, c. wrote:

On 12 Feb 2014, at 03:50, mcg <address@hidden> wrote:

In my CVX package I distribute precompiled MEX files for 32- and 64- bit
versions of Mac, Windows, and Linux MATLAB. In the process of determining how
to do the same for Octave, I found a couple of different issues that complicate
matters.

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that your license might not be completely
compatible with Octave's GPLv3 license:

   http://cvxr.com/cvx/licensing/ .

If this were indeed the case, distributing pre-compiled binaries linked to
Octave would be in breach of Octave's license.

In that case, whatever the technical issues that complicate creating a binary
distribution are, it wouldn't really matter
as the binary distribution would not be legally viable anyway.

Therefore, I would recomend you check with someone more knowledgeable at law
than me if what you intend to do is actually
legally possible before you spend more work to make it work technically.

just my .2€
c.

Please see the following:

  http://wiki.octave.org/FAQ#Licensing_issues