Re: [CHANGESET] pkg.m patch to help debian packaging (WAS: Re: very smal

From: Sébastien Villemot
Subject: Re: [CHANGESET] pkg.m patch to help debian packaging (WAS: Re: very small packages - merge into general/miscelleneous or move into core)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:14:44 +0100

Le lundi 10 février 2014 à 14:48 +0100, c. a écrit :
> On 5 Feb 2014, at 12:04, Sébastien Villemot <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Carlo,

> >> Did you have time to look at this patch?
> >
> > I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this patch. Is the
> > idea to move the default global prefix out of pkg.m, into a new smaller
> > file? If this is indeed the case, I don't think this is especially
> > relevant for us. We can patch pkg.m directly.
>
> That changeset was just trying to make patching pkg.m simpler,
> the default locations for global install paths were hardcoded
> in different accls in different files all over the place,
> with that changeset you only need to pach one line in one file,
> without you would have to make more extensive and obtrusive changes.
>
> Even if this changeset may not be need for you, I think it is a
> good thing to do so I'll apply it on the default branch.

Sure, this changeset is useful as it makes things simpler.

> > Actually I realize that we may not even need to patch it. I am currently
> > investigating whether we really need to set "pkg prefix"
> > in /etc/octave.conf. Maybe this is no longer needed.
>
> Please keep me informed about your progress, I'll be happy to help if I can.

I have just removed the "pkg prefix" line in /etc/octave.conf from the
Debian package, I could verify that this apparently breaks nothing.
Unless we find a problem that I had overlooked, this change should be
effective when we upload 3.8.1 to Debian.

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer