Octave Task List: proof of concept

From: Julien Hamilton
Subject: Octave Task List: proof of concept
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 23:24:40 -0500

Dear All,

I tested different free and open-source Task Management systems and here is my conclusion: lots of them are actually too tailored for Project Management (e.g. OpenProject, Redmine, web2project). They offer a lot of options that I think we don’t really need like Gantt charts or Resource Allocation. Some other tools like TaskFreak are not customizable enough. I also understood that one of your concerns is to have to use another tool and you already have Savannah and the wiki.

So what I could propose is to use a Task List directly in the wiki. For the proof of concept I adapted the MediaWiki extension IssueTracker (GNU General Public Licence). I adapted it to include new columns like Difficulty and Progress that can be useful. I think this Task List pretty much covers the need of having the Octave tasks well organized without having too many “project management” options.

I created a list of dummy Octave tasks as an example, if you want to edit them please create a wiki account. You can create or edit any tasks you want since it’s only a proof of concept. The goal is to show you a nice way to have the Octave tasks organized directly in the wiki.

Here is the URL of the proof of concept: http://www.octavepoc.julienetlaurene.net/wikipoc

Enjoy,

Julien