Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 09:51:06 -0500

On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 23:24 -0500, Julien Hamilton wrote:
> I also understood that one of your concerns is to have to use
> another tool and you already have Savannah and the wiki.

> So what I could propose is to use a Task List directly in the wiki.

I don't understand what you're working towards here. What you created
looks a lot like the task tracker on Savannah. It has almost the same
fields. Is the problem that the Savannah interface is too ugly? Or is
it that not everyone is able to manipulate bugs and tasks in Savannah?

Would you like to be given permission in Savannah to manipulate bugs?
You could then go around Savannah and tagging bugs, requesting follow
up if someone said they would do something about them but haven't done
anything in a long time, identifying duplicates, checking if old bugs
are still present in current versions. Rik and Mike have been doing a
lot of bug triaging, and to a certain extent everyone else in the
Savannah team, but we could always use more help.

If you want spend time cleaning up our bug reports, there's plenty of
work to do there.

You should also understand that at least some of us are reticent to
the idea of having a "project manager", especially a newcomer who
seems to be wanting to tell us what to do. We hardly ever listen to
jwe, so why would we listen to you? :-) Having someone who goes around
helping us keep our bug tracker tidy, however sounds like very welcome
and useful person.

- Jordi G. H.