Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:13:04 -0500

On 02/18/2014 11:33 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 09:51:06 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

Looking at your POC briefly, it looks like the main things you've
added are difficulty and time estimates and a completion progress
meter. These things often aren't known, but when we do know them, I
think currently we simply note them in a comment on the task or bug
tracker.

There is also the possibility to add more things to the task tracker,
including custom fields.  But it already has the following fields that
we are not currently using:

  Severity
    Select Box; Impact of the item on the system (Critical, Major,...)

  Item Group
    Select Box; Caracterizes the nature of the item (e.g. Crash Error,
    Documentation Typo, Installation Problem, etc

  Percent Complete
    Select Box

  Originator Phone
    Text Field; Phone number of the person who submitted the item

  Release
    Text Field; Release (global version number) impacted by the item
    (in free text)

  Release
    Select Box; Release (global version number) impacted by the item

  Component Version
    Select Box; Version of the System Component (aka Item Category)
    impacted by the item

  Operating System
    Select Box; Operating System impacted by the issue

  Reproducibility
    Select Box; How easy it is to reproduce the item

  Size (loc)
    Select Box; Estimated size of the code to be developed or reworked
    to handle the item

  Effort
    Text Field; Number of hours of work need the handle the item

  Component Version
    Text Field; Version of the system component (or work product)
    impacted by the item (in free text)

  Fixed Release
    Text Field; Release in which the item was actually implemented (in
    free text)

  Planned Release
    Text Field; Release in which you initially planned the item to be
    handled (in free text)

  Keywords
    Text Field; List of comma separated keywords associated with an
    item

All of those are trivial to add to the tracker.

We can also add custom text fields, text areas, select boxes (up to 10
each) or date fields (up to 5).  These require a little more work, but
not much.