Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:18:40 -0500

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 13:44:21 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> As I understand it, the root problem that you're trying to solve is
> that Octave isn't releasing fixes on a predictable schedule? You've
> spoken before in the bug tracker about how you want fixes released
> very quickly.

I don't know that I read that into the examples or what's been
discussed here. If that is what he wants to introduce, then he should
indeed explicitly state having a calendar-based release cadence as a
goal (which I agree we can't commit to for Octave, at least not for
now).

What I'm seeing are pretty ways of showing higher level release goals,
broad directions that development should focus on for the next release
and the one after that.

Which is basically what we have hidden inside the Roadmap page on the wiki:

> I think ad-hoc
> things like a simple wiki page are all we need:
>
>     http://wiki.octave.org/Roadmap

But the high-level roadmap message is somewhat obscured behind
developer details about branches and bug fixes.

I obviously can't speak for Felipe, but maybe what is desired is
better way of presenting our release goals? Maybe even a way of
representing connections between bugs and tasks and release goals? For
example, the big 4.0 release goal is "GUI". What tasks are associated
with that? What bugs on the bug tracker should be fixed to achieve
that goal? If I were a new contributor, if I want to help 4.0 happen,
where should I focus my attention? Or, from the release management
angle, can we have a way to track these things so it becomes obvious
when 4.0 is "ready" based on the goals we agreed on?

--
mike