Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: Octave Task List: proof of concept
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:36:01 -0800 (PST)

Jordi, my suggestion is just to make the development of Octave a bit more
transparent, so that new folks feel more enticed to collaborate.  I never
meant to hurry it in any way, which would be ridiculous on my part, as I'm
paying nothing, and contributing very little in-kind.  Admittedly, a
detailed roadmap would have marginal immediate benefit for established
developers, who already know very well their next steps.  Yet, although
we're all swamped in work, I can't help but find the reluctance with the
initial time investment in the delegation of tasks a bit short-sighted, as I
believe it'll pay off sooner or later, in terms of additional helping hands.
If I were a developer heading a project or major task (say, an OF package),
I'd create a wiki page advertising its development -- in free format.  In
fact, there are already excellent examples, such as these:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Mapping_package>
<http://wiki.octave.org/Release_3.8>
Maybe a gradual improvement of wiki content is the best approach, given the
resources available.
My two cents.
-Felipe.