Re: Building sedumi -- "Unable to fine mkoctfile in expected location"

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Building sedumi -- "Unable to fine mkoctfile in expected location"
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:14:45 -0500

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 19:01:34 +0000, fork wrote:
> I am trying to build the sedumi mex files on a windows 7, MinGW, 3.7.2+
> Octave installation (the included binaries don't work on MinGW and give
> errors running sedumi(<sample data>)).  The install script gives several
> errors about not being able to find mkoctfile, but for the sake of testing,
> they boil down to the following test case:
>
> 29> mex bwblkslv.c
> warning: unable to find mkoctfile in expected location:
> 'C:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\bin\mkoctfile-3.7.2+'
>
> Looking at mkoctfile.m (NOT mkoctfile.exe), it warns because a return value
> of 127 was given (it should probably error on that return value, not just
> warn).
>
> Further looking, the command it is trying to run is the following:
>
> debug>  cmd
> cmd = "C:\Software\Octave-3.7.2+\bin\mkoctfile-3.7.2+" "--mex" "bwblkslv.c"
>
> I have confirmed that mkoctfile-3.7.2+ is in the above directory (at least
> with an "exe" at the end).

Yes, this was an error at some point during the 3.7 development cycle
and is definitely fixed in 3.8.0. The error is becaue mkoctfile.m now
looks for the executable to exist before running it, and it needs the
.exe extension on Windows for the file existence test to succeed.

If you don't have a way to upgrade to 3.8.0 at the moment, you can try
applying this changeset as a patch to your installed Octave and see if
that resolves the error:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/6b8df90c8806

HTH,

--