Re: bug statuses for specific information needed?

From: Michael C. Grant
Subject: Re: bug statuses for specific information needed?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:21:40 -0800 (PST)

Mike Miller wrote
>> * Bugs that need someone with access to Matlab to run a test case.
>> This often happens with the help of the bug reporter, but sometimes
>> they don't have Matlab themselves, or don't have the necessary
>> toolboxes. Would it help at all to have a bug status like "run this in
>> Matlab for me"?
> I'd feel that as some sort of defeat for us.

Why? If people who own licenses for Matlab, like me for instance, are
willing to assist in helping improve Octave's Matlab compatibility, why
would that be anything but a win? I would /love/ to be able to offer Octave
support for my software (heck, we've been talking about it since 2008). It
can't happen if there is undue reluctance in squashing compatibility bugs,
and that is necessarily going to require the use of Matlab.

Just last night a colleague and I uncovered an incompatiblity in "evalin".
There probably aren't too many people out there who even care about a bug
like this. The ability to run MATLAB and Octave side by side while searching
for the issue was indispensable.... and now the patch is in the repo. Same
goes for the command parsing patches I provided last month. Both relied
heavily on my access to MATLAB.