Re: Requirements for releasing the STK toolbox as an Octave forge packag

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: Requirements for releasing the STK toolbox as an Octave forge package ?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:43:05 +0100

On 11/02/2014 14:32, Julien Bect wrote:
Le 11/02/2014 14:06, Carnë Draug a écrit :
On 10 February 2014 11:07, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
STK is meant to work both with Octave and with Matlab and, for that reason, its primary repository is not organised as an Octave package. I would like to keep the current organisation, which allows to use the toolbox "in place" both from Octave and from Matlab, and from there generate for each release an Octave package for Octave users that prefer to install it using pkg. Plus, we want like to keep full control over the STK as a Sourceforge project (description, front page, developpers, screenshots, news, etc.).
This is perfectly fine with us. However, we do need to keep a clone of the repository for ourselves with everything ready to prepare a release. This is not the unpacked tarball, can be a repository with a very different structure (like what you have now), with the script used to create a tarball of the package that is released.

I noticed you are using svn. If you were using mercurial or git, the distributed would be more natural. It is still possible to do it, it's just less natural. Would probably be easier if you converted your repository to one of them (in Octave we have a preference over mercurial) and I can help you with that if you pop in #octave one of these days.

I already read STK's repository with hgsubversion on a daily basis... I will consider moving completely to hg, since Sourceforge allows it (have to check with my co-maintainer, though).

Ok, the STK project is now versioned with Mercurial :

https://sourceforge.net/p/kriging/hg/ci/default/tree

Since it seems that our project satisfies all other requirements for becoming an Octave Forge package (see previous emails), what are the next steps ?

We're not really ready to release a new version of STK yet, but the packaging script is already functional and can be tested on the default branch :

    1) clone the repo (default branch)

    2) from the root of the repository, type :

        cd admin
        octave --eval "make_octave_package"

        cd ../octave-build
        octave --eval "pkg install stk-2.2.tar.gz"

    3) If you want to run the entire test suite :

        octave --eval "pkg load stk;  stk_runtests"

As I understand it, we have to provide an INDEX file to get the functions nicely sorted on the "Function reference" webpage. I'll take care of this.

Is there any way I can preview the HTML documentation formatted as it will be formatted on the Octave Forge website ?

@++
Julien