Re: Requirements for releasing the STK toolbox as an Octave forge packag

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Requirements for releasing the STK toolbox as an Octave forge package ?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 15:06:00 +0000

On 24 February 2014 14:48, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 24/02/2014 15:17, Carnė Draug wrote:
>>
>> On 24 February 2014 13:43, Julien Bect <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I understand it, we have to provide an INDEX file to get the functions
>>> nicely sorted on the "Function reference" webpage. I'll take care of this.
>>
>> The INDEX file is only required for: 1) oct files with multiple functions
>> 2) organize the functions into groups 3) avoid documenting things such as
>> "private" functions If this does not apply to you, you don't need an INDEX
>> file.
>

> Well, both 2) and 3) apply to our case... I guess we need an INDEX file,
> then.
>
>>> Is there any way I can preview the HTML documentation formatted as it
>>> will be formatted on the Octave Forge website ?
>>
>> You will need to download the CSS style file [1]. Maybe some of the
>> javascript files will be needed. Carnė [1]
>> http://octave.sourceforge.net/octave-forge.css
>

> Ok. But how do I generate the HTML output ? Should I use the
> generate_package_html () function from the "generate_html" package ?
>
> I have tried this, after installing STK as an octave package :
>
>     pkg load generate_html
>     generate_package_html ("stk", "stk_html", "octave-forge")
>
> but it doesn't work for me : only the M-files located at the root at the
> package seem to be found. How do I produce documentation for a package that
> has several subdirectories ?

That should work if you have the stk package installed. I created the
stk package as you mentioned to try to duplicate this but I couldn't
even load the package. When I did it (pkg load stk), it prints the GPL
notice a *lot* of times, before giving the following error repeated
too many times:

error:   clear at line 30, column 5
error:   /home/carandraug/octave/stk-2.2.0/stk_init.m at line 72, column 67
error:   /home/carandraug/octave/stk-2.2.0/PKG_ADD at line 4, column 1

Also, why do you have the functions split into multiple directories?
If you are already creating the package with a script, there's no need
for organization, you might as well place all the m files into a
single directory. This will also make it simpler for you, and will be
less prone to bugs when adding and removing to the search path.

By the way, the package is shadowing the following core functions:
linsolve, qunatile, and corr. Why is it doing this?

Carnë