Re: GSoC 2014 | CUDA

From: Faiz I. Kothari
Subject: Re: GSoC 2014 | CUDA
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:24:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I am sorry, but OpenCL looked promising, but again its licensed is not specified. I cannot make sure whether the code will be distributed under GPL. I was really looking forward to it. AFAIK, there are no free GPU runtime available.

Thanks for the reply.

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso-2 [via Octave] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 07:29 -0800, Faiz I. Kothari wrote:
> I know the licensing issues caused by using CUDA, but Nvidia
> supports OpenCL too, so there shouldn't be any licensing problems.

The licensing problems aren't about what interface is used, but
whether there is a free license for it or not. It does not help us if
they have an OpenCL implementation if it's also non-free. As far as I
know, there is no usable free CUDA or OpenCL implementation. Do you
know of one?

> Since GPGPU is a very emerging field and simulations are very
> compute intensive tasks,

it is therefore very important to have a free implementation of a GPU
runtime.

If you are interested in this problem, please work on that before
you're dazzled by the shiny non-free toys that nvidia et al are
peddling. A gilded cage is still a cage.

- Jordi G. H.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/GSoC-2014-CUDA-tp4662308p4662312.html
To start a new topic under Octave - Maintainers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GSoC 2014 | CUDA, click here.
NAML