Re: lost revenue

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: lost revenue
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:28:14 -0500

On 02/25/2014 10:03 AM, fgnievinski wrote:
Pascal Dupuis-3 wrote
Why not reply them seriously ? Why not proprose some kind of
distribution clause where specific development made for them would be
released publicly into Octave six month after being delivered to them
?

Regards

Pascal

They don't want software development, they just want to buy a box.

I was thinking: Octave already earns commissions on sells of its printed
manual:
<http://www.network-theory.co.uk/octave/manual/>

I'm unaware of receiving any contributions from that for at least two or three years. I haven't heard from Brian Gough in about the same time, so I don't know whether he is still doing business as Network Theory. And in any case, when we were receiving donations from the manual sales, it was $1 for each manual sold. I think the total received was probably less than $3000 over several years. Nice as a tip, but not exactly enough money to do anything large scale like hire someone.

It seems within reach to bundle it up with a USB drive containing
pre-compiled binaries (plus source code), print the Support Options webpage,
encase everything in a nice package, and put a price tag on it, in the range
of a few hundred dollars.  No need to offer anything else.

In typical businesses, there's hard-earned well-deserved revenue, and then
there's easy money.  Imagine if Apple would only sell its iPhone to
non-impulsive buyers...

The thing everyone seems to be missing here is that "Octave" is not a business. We don't have a business that can do the things you keep proposing like selling support or pre-packaged binaries.

Yes, the FSF does accept donations on our behalf. But as a tax-exempt charity in the US, there are limitations on what the FSF can do. For example, they are not allowed to accept donations that require specific deliverables from us (for example, pay $$ to have specific features added to Octave).

If you would like to start a business centered around selling Octave or support for Octave, you are welcome to do so. That's essentially what Network Theory was doing by selling printed manuals. If you want to direct some of the profits from that business to the Octave project (say, as a donation to the FSF directed toward Octave) then that's very much appreciated and welcome.

If you are interested in turning the Octave project into a business, then that requires a lot more work than just deciding one day that we'll sell some stuff. I'm not even sure it is feasible. How do you propose to turn a community project made up of volunteers into a successful business? Do you want to start a traditional corporation? A co-op? What?