Re: need test run on Mac

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: need test run on Mac
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 01:28:14 -0500

On 02/27/2014 01:15 AM, Lukas Reichlin wrote:
On 27.02.2014, at 06:52, "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

octave:1> y = zeros(1,25);
octave:2> u = ones(1,25);
octave:3> tsam = 0.1;
octave:4> data = iddata(y,u,tsam);
warning: iddata: more outputs than samples - matrice 'y' should probably be
transposed
warning: iddata: more inputs than samples - matrice 'u' should probably be
transposed
octave:5> n4sid(data,1);
  ** On entry to IB01AD parameter number  7 had an illegal value

warning: octave_chunk_buffer::clear: 2 active allocations remain!
ra:~ lukas$

I installed Octave through the Fink package manager on OS X 10.8.5.

Thanks.

OK, something funny is happening there, because what should happen
after the error occurs in IB01AD is that an exception should be
thrown, and you should see subsequent error messages that look like
this:

  error: __sl_ib01ad__: exception encountered in Fortran subroutine ib01ad_
  error: called from:
error: /usr/share/octave/packages/control-2.6.2/__slicot_identification__.m at line 156, column 13 error: /usr/share/octave/packages/control-2.6.2/n4sid.m at line 237, column 5

Instead you're getting some warning message about memory allocation
which should not be happening.  It works as I would expect on my
Debian system, so I'm suspecting that either Octave is miscompiled on
the Mac or our assumptions about this part of Octave's exception
handling scheme are wrong and need to be revised to work properly.