Re: mxe-octave and MXE status update

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: mxe-octave and MXE status update
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:54:37 -0500

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:55 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/27/2014 05:49 PM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

I somehow doubt that the MXE guys will ever accept the MSVC parts I've
put into mxe-octave.

They seem to be cooperating with me fairly well so far, so I guess I feel a bit more optimistic about it.

Hopefully I'm wrong. My doubt is just nourished by my experience.

> In that case, if mxe-octave is dropped, I'll
probably get back to my own build scripts.

Why would you choose to do that instead of just continuing to use mxe-octave?

My own build scripts may end up being to use my own version of mxe-octave. At this point, it's only speculation. I haven't looked at MSVC compilation for a while. And I'm stuck at VS2010 (VS2012 is not supported on WinXP), which becomes slowly obsolete.

I thought it might be possible to make the rules and Makefile targets sufficiently general so that MXE wouldn't really care what the compiler/target combination was, and would allow you to customize those without needing to embed too many MSVC-specific things in MXE itself.

The mods to support MSVC also affects the package files. These kind of changes may be more difficult to get accepted. As well as MSVC-specific modules, like build-msvctools.

Michael.