Re: [OF signal] Compilation errors due to mpi.h

From: c.
Subject: Re: [OF signal] Compilation errors due to mpi.h
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:12:49 +0100

On 28 Feb 2014, at 11:41, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:

> During installation of latest signal package there are errors due to
> mpi.h not found. I guess this is another instance of badly defined
> CPPFLAGS.
>
> Is there a way we can solve this problem in a consistent way?
> This involves improving configure.ac and PKG_ADD. If we can't find the
> headers in a few reasonable places then we could prompt the user. Or
> is there another way of doing this? (besides asking the user to export
> the correct CPPFLAGS, which will put off many users).

autoconf is powerful but cannot work magic, if libraries and headers are
installed
in non standard locations the user MUST tell configure where to find them.

So instead of trying too hard to avoid any such option, we should find to define
a convenient way for them to be provided.

Rather than having to set environment variables before doing "pkg install", it
would
be probably nicer for users to be able to pass compilation flags as input
parameters
to "pkg", something like:

pkg install -forge signal CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/openmpi/1.6/include
LDGLAGS=-L/opt/openmpi/1.6/lib

or maybe

pkg install -forge signal --with-mpi=/opt/openmpi/1.6/

c.