Re: Project idea for GSOC 2014

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: Project idea for GSOC 2014
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 01:41:18 -0800 (PST)

Vishnu Agarwal wrote
> Hi,
>
>      First of all, congratulations on being accepted for GSoC 2014!!
>
> I  am Vishnu Agarwal a student of Third year in IIT Roorkee currently
> pursuing Integrated M.Sc. in Applied Mathematics.I want to add my idea
> that
> is not listed in your idea list but still want to discuss.
>
> Octave uses Branch and Bound algorithm for solving integer linear
> programming and I dont think it is a good implementation(I may be wrong)
> and it does not support mix integer linear progrmming.I would like to work
> on this problem .
>
> I have done courses like Optimization,Probablity and Statistics, Abstract
> Algebra,Linear Algebra,Partial Differential Equations,Real
> Analysis,Complex
> Analysis,that will enhance energy in the project
>
> Please reply so that we can further discuss on this.
>
> Regards
> Vishnu Agarwal

Dear Vishnu,

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Please read carefully this section:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application>
to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

About your idea, on (mix) integer linear programming, could you please
compare and contrast the Octave and Matlab interfaces? Maybe your personal
page on the Octave wiki is a good starting place to post it.

Also, it's recommended you try one of the very short projects available at:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects>

Please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on IRC:
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=octave>

Best regards,
-Felipe.