Re: GSOC Project

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: GSOC Project
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 07:31:49 +0100

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:14 PM, ismail mustafa abdelfatah abouelseoud <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

my name is  ISMAIL MUSTAFA ABDELFATAH .
i'm in the second year of electrical engineering in sapienza the university of roma.

I'm interested in doing a GSoc 2014 project under Octave. i'm intrested in Numerical projects .
Particularly, I would really like to work on LU factorization for sparse matrices . I
I have alreay study the factorization LU for normal matrices in my univerusty and
I have study Iterative Methods like Gauss-Seidel Method and Jacobi’s Method for the Solution of Linear Systems and
many another iterative methods for non linear systems and how to make a programs for this method in c   .
I have a good knowledge for the required skills (math skills and c++).

I want know what the skills that i have to  improve  to make good project ?
what as the logarithm I have to know to make the project?

Thank you for your time,

ISMAIL MUSTAFA ABDELFATAH,

sapienza university of roma,

ITALY

Hello Ismail Mustafa Abdelfatah,

Thank you for your interest. It's good, that you have a background in iterative methods, thus you should proceed as follows:

1. Our wiki page with project ideas and information about how to apply [1] seems not to be unfamiliar to you. If you have questions regarding the application process, don't hesitate to ask.
2. Clone and build the Octave development version [2] and make yourself familiar with the code.
3. I am working on that topic since last GSoC as well. So maybe have a look at my blog [3].
4. If you want to you can create a public profile on our wiki for your application (as described in [1]) with ideas, how you want to work on that project.

Best regards,
Kai

[1] http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas
[2] http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Contributing-Guidelines.html