Re: Help with finding some mentor.

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: Help with finding some mentor.
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:57:55 -0800 (PST)

Eduardo wrote
> I am interested in sparse matrices algorithms and data structures. I
> checked the ideas page and found some related ideas with sparse matrices
> for doing a project proposal, but I found that little information is given
> there about how things should be done. I am looking for a mentor to help
> me
> with this topic. I want to make an application for GSOC based on that. I
> have alreay read the document about how sparse matrices are implemented in
> Octave and I am looking for guidance on how to study that subject deeper
> so
> I can design a time-line for my project . Now I really do not know where
> start, I am just trying to play with the source code, compiling it and
> searching for a bug that I can correct and  writing a patch to fix it.
> Someone who can kindly mentor me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Eduardo (edu159)

Dear Eduardo,

Great to hear from you. It's always good to have new contributors.

Please read carefully this section:
<http://wiki.octave.org/GSoC_Project_Ideas#Steps_Toward_a_Successful_Application>
to find out what is expected from GSoC applicants.

You seem to be in the right direction -- just keep trying and report often
to the list.

You mentioned interest in "sparse matrix" and also mentioned having looked
at these wiki pages:
<http://wiki.octave.org/SoC_Project_Ideas#Various_sparse_matrix_improvements>
<http://wiki.octave.org/Projects#Sparse_Matrices>
Do you have more specific questions about the content of these pages?

Have you tried one of the very short projects available at:
<http://wiki.octave.org/Short_projects>

Please don't hesitate to ask for help, here or on the IRC:
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=octave>

Best regards,
-Felipe.