Re: [Patch] fem-fenics patches

From: c.
Subject: Re: [Patch] fem-fenics patches
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 09:10:32 +0100

On 4 Mar 2014, at 13:22, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I've attached my modified source file so that one can read the code more
>> easily, though.  Hope this helps!
>
> Yes thanks it is easier now. I've just pushed the two patches you submitted.

I actually don't like these changes, or rather the phylosophy behind them.
I would suggest to back them up.

There is good reasons why we want to stick to a syntax that is as close
as possible to other FEnics interfaces (either C++ or python).

Current FEnics API's  come with very extensive and detailed (and quite lengthy)
documentation, e.g.:

 http://fenicsproject.org/documentation/tutorial/index.html
 http://fenicsproject.org/book/index.html#book

Unless we want to repeat the tremendous effort required to produce those docs
we should really make any effort possible to stick to a compatible syntax
in order to make it as straightforward as possible to switch from python to
Octave API
seamlessly.

Even if that costs  the effort of giving a little more thought on a change
before
pushing it.

In this particular case, a change that would preserve the compatibility AND
allow
the convenience of vectorization, is to allow the syntax:

 eval (FUNC, P)

where, if P is a matrix, evaluation is done by iterating through its columns.

This would also allow, for example, interpolating to the nodes of a new mesh
by simply doing:

 f = eval (FUNC, new_mesh.p);

> I wait for the problem with the configure.ac file to be fixed and then I
> prepare a new release.
> Thanks for your help.

I don't think we should , we are planning a new project to improve fem-fenics,
rather than
rush into making a new release just now I think this is the time to sit and
plan the future
package