Re: getting involved in development

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: getting involved in development
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 09:17:05 -0500

On Wed, 2014-03-05 at 14:26 +0100, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
> And also check this page that was created recently
> http://wiki.octave.org/Lock

I'd like to discourage such a page. A core message of what we want to
tell GSoC students is that the project they want to work on can be
anything, including something that another student is also working on.
Pretty much every project we've suggested plus any project that the
students can suggest themselves allows for more than one person to
work on it. The important message is that students should work on a
project that motivates *them*, not necessarily on a project that
current Octave developers think is important.

Plus, file locking is such an archaic concept, one that a DVCS like hg
doesn't need.

- Jordi G. H.