Re: configure.ac and Dolfin.h

From: Marco Vassallo
Subject: Re: configure.ac and Dolfin.h
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 00:17:22 +0000

On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:

On 05 Mar 2014, at 08:51, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 5 Mar 2014, at 02:50, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:

I prepared a patch, that I hereby attach, to address the issue. Currently I can’t test it because the version of FEniCS I installed crashes python, leading to the failure of the build. Anyway, since the problem is related to the flags passed to mkoctfile and those rules work for me, I would ask you to try to apply the patch and build to test it.

Eugenio,

If you wish to work on a project about fem-fenics, I think the first step
for you should be to get it to work on your system.

For this particular patch, which is about making the package installation easier,
I think it is even more important to do so.

What use is a build system patch if it does not even work for you wh wrote it?

So I would suggest to take a step back and look at the project in perspective
considering the task you want to accomplish before delving deep into the technical
details.

So, what are the installation problems you see on your system?
What needs to be done to fix them?
What, in your opinion, would need to be done to make the installation
experience less frustrating and more straightforward for the general user?

My problems are mainly related to the FEniCS project documentation. I wasn’t able to
find a comprehensive list of the dependencies, their installation instructions for the build
from sources are minimal. Moreover I run into troubles also building some of the
dependencies. It seems like they provide little support for anything else than Ubuntu (http://fenicsproject.org/documentation/tutorial/misc.html#installing-fenics), so
a first step should be to get in contact with them and ask for guidance.

If anyone was able to build FEniCS from sources on Mac OS X 10.9, his/her help is welcome.

Hi, i don't know how to build it on Mac, but dorsal worked well for me (ubuntu and fedora)
You can read something about OS X 10.9 here [1]. On the Fenics Q&A they  normally
answer to your question very soon, so you can try to ask for some help here [2].

HTH

Marco

[1] http://fenicsproject.org/qa/1590/mac-osx-10-9-binary
[2] http://fenicsproject.org/qa/

By discussing these issues on the list and proposing solutions I think
you would show your ability to carry out the proposed project much better
than by submitting an unested half-baked patch.

Now, as for the details of your changeset:

* src/AUTHORS src/COPYING src/ChangeLog src/INSTALL src/NEWS src/README:
    Added to comply with Automake requirements. They are either empty or
    the default ones.

This is nonstandard and somewhat ugly, according to the guidelines for creating
Octave Forge packages these files should reside in the package root and not in the src
subdirectory.

Before choosing to do similar nonstandard hacks you should ask other developers
if there is any other option and check what is done in other packages..

I will be careful not to do a similar error in the future. I’m working at a polished proposal,
way less intrusive. I now have a development VM with Ubuntu on it and the package builds
fine in it. I am waiting for the build of the core Octave repository to test it with the examples,
then I will submit a working patch for you to evaluate.

Eugenio

Don't be shy to ask questions and to interact with the community, your willingness
and ability to do so is one of the key elements in making your application successful.

HTH
c.