[fem-fenics] Problem with the examples

From: Eugenio Gianniti
Subject: [fem-fenics] Problem with the examples
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 19:54:31 +0000

Dear all,

I’ve been trying hard to have the fem-fenics package work, but so far no success. I had a seemingly good build of Octave core, with 06970f4625b (stable) changeset:

  PASS     11521
  FAIL         0
  XFAIL        7
  SKIPPED     38

The skipped tests are the whole jit suite, since it was disabled by default configuring without options, and a couple related to hdf5, since it is missing in my system due to the compatibility issue with gmsh [1], which is a dependency of the msh package. I am now on Ubuntu 13.10.

After that I installed from Forge the packages splines, msh and fem-fenics. To do so I did export CPPFLAGS=“-I/usr/include/eigen3 $(mpicxx -showme:compile)” as suggested in [2]. Then export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/openmpi/lib/libmpi.so as suggested in [3]. With this environment if I launch Octave, load fem-fenics and run femfenics_examples I experience a crash or a freeze after choosing one of them to see.

I investigated the issue with the builtin debugger and, for instance using Poisson.m, I found out that the script is executed successfully except for the final plot(u); instruction, that causes Octave to crash or freeze. I always say that Octave crashes or freezes because it exits abruptly with a quite random behaviour: sometimes there is a crash and I get on the terminal a signal 11 error message, in other cases I get a signal 6. Moreover, sometimes Octave silently aborts leaving a dump octave-workspace and sometimes it just freezes. These times I need to force quit both Octave and the launching terminal.

When using Octave GUI I never obtained a successful run of the examples, whilst using the CLI I was able to run example 1, Poisson, successfully, 2 and 3 without a failure of Octave, but with empty plots, eventually 4 with an abort and core dump.

I would kindly ask for guidance in further troubleshooting this issue.

Eugenio