Re: pkg / PKG_ADD / arch-dependent

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: pkg / PKG_ADD / arch-dependent
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 09:44:41 +0100

On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:52:50PM +0100, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
> <snip>
> But.... moving io's PKG_DEL into the arch-dependent subdir too does
> work out adversely: that hampers proper unloading of the io package.
> It seems the script subdir, containing .m-files required by PKG_DEL
> during unloading, is removed from Octave's search path before
> PKG_DEL is run.
> I'd expect that subdirectories should be removed from the path in
> reverse order. Is that the case in pkg.m and friends?

Seemingly not. And even changing this would not mend problems with
inline PKG_DEL directives in m-files or octfiles (ending up either in
the scripts or the arch-dependent directory) which could assume that
both directories are in the path.

So the real fix seems to me to call all PKG_ADD directives only after
all directories are in the path, and to call all PKG_DEL directives
before any of the directories is removed from the path. I had once
submitted such a patch:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7976

but the discussion on it dried out.

Olaf