Re: pkg / PKG_ADD / arch-dependent

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: pkg / PKG_ADD / arch-dependent
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 18:55:18 +0100

Olaf Till wrote:
On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:52:50PM +0100, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
<snip>
But.... moving io's PKG_DEL into the arch-dependent subdir too does
work out adversely: that hampers proper unloading of the io package.
It seems the script subdir, containing .m-files required by PKG_DEL
during unloading, is removed from Octave's search path before
PKG_DEL is run.
I'd expect that subdirectories should be removed from the path in
reverse order. Is that the case in pkg.m and friends?

Seemingly not. And even changing this would not mend problems with
inline PKG_DEL directives in m-files or octfiles (ending up either in
the scripts or the arch-dependent directory) which could assume that
both directories are in the path.

So the real fix seems to me to call all PKG_ADD directives only after
all directories are in the path, and to call all PKG_DEL directives
before any of the directories is removed from the path.I had once
submitted such a patch:

https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?7976

but the discussion on it dried out.

The patch report is very technical - I'm not so familiar with c++ etc. So I didn't fully understand:

Was the intention to run PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL for each package in turn, or after all packages referenced in one 'pkg ....' statement have been processed? In either case there may be a few problems looming (e.g., mutually dependent packages).

The current situation, while not ideal, is still manageable, at least in case of the io package; although my fix isn't beautiful. I can't vouch for the database package ;-)

But I wonder if there does exist an overall ideal solution. Packages can be so complicated and demanding (on dependencies etc.) that in some cases individual solutions might be unavoidable. That said, even if your patch is to just fix PKG_ADD/PKG_DEL operation per package, it is probably already a firm step in the right direction.

Philip