Re: New Geodesy functions to Mapping Package

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: New Geodesy functions to Mapping Package
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 17:53:00 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM, sunnyv [via Octave] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Felipe,
I have submitted another update in which ecef2geodetic accepts multiple point inputs.
link: https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?8377
With your code, the problem I have faced in ecef2geodetic were:
1. Jones and Vectorized jones methods gave a substantially different output to its matlab counter part for the few random inputs that I took.
This must be an inconsistency in the input format -- could you please check, e.g., lat & lon vs. lon & lat, or the ellipsoid definition.  Recall that these implementations have been fully tested.

2. Classical geodetic method caused octave to crash. This method took forever to compute the result and made octave non responsive.

If it Octave really crashes, please report a bug.
The time it takes to completion must be related to the tolerance set for convergence, please check.

I am implementing tests in my code and I will submit it by the end of this week. Also, I have done this work only to demonstrate my capability to work on Octave development. I would like to complete the entire Mapping package, if it qualifies as  large enough project for GSoC.
I think if you organize the missing functions in groups, then you can identify more easily what functions could be implemented, realistically for the three-month period.

Sincerely,
Sandeep.

cheers,
-Felipe.