Re: GSOC'14 Looking for mentor

From: sunnyv
Subject: Re: GSOC'14 Looking for mentor
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 15:46:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Felipe,
I have updated my Y (tasks) section by including my schedule and allotting
various functions, the development and testing time. I have included the
opensource implementations that are already available. An important change
is that I have decided to use Mapnik for rendering maps. I do not know how
difficult this is going to be, so I have allotted 3 weeks of my time to this
feature. Reading the documentation on their website, it seems to me that it
is possible to develop the Map Display package in the time available.  Most
of the functions in standard I/O are described properly in other programming
languages by open source software such as Grass GIS and PROJ.4. For the
first four weeks, I have focused on developing the functions for Coordinate
systems. As there are already some functions in this which are previously
developed (like conversion between units) and my 3D coordinate system
functions, I can complete all the functions in Modelling the Earth category,
in which your library already has implemented most of the functions. I have
also created a table, for Standard I/O functions and Map Display. Please
check my detailed schedule here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AopkixSrywUIdHYybXZzTlpNdFM2NDd3cUIzNkNuR1E#gid=0
Please suggest improvements.

Sincerely,