Enhancement of TeX mode in FLTK toolkit

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Enhancement of TeX mode in FLTK toolkit
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:52:35 +0000

I have been experimenting with getting TeX through FLTK
plots to PDF. The documentation is not correct in several respects
(TeX syntax appears  not to be directly supported) and the
method of passing LaTeX or TeX strings using
print  -depslatexstandalone ... has an important
deficiency: it does not support math mode.

Therefore, what must be done is to write the strings
so that they display correctly, but then after
running print  -depslatexstandalone  the resulting *.tex
file must be edited to insert $ around each string which
requires math mode.  Then, everything works very well for
pdflatex processing and the resulting PDF can be included
in a TeX or LaTeX file. And, it even looks quite good I
think!

There may be a simple solution to this that could be
worth implementing before full TeX support becomes available.
This would (simply I hope) require defining a new control
sequence in tex mode: \$

This would have the effect of simply being ignored in
display mode, but when processing -depslatexstandalone
the \$ would copy $ to the output string.

This would produce an output .tex file which would compile
correctly under pdflatex or latex.

I would appreciate comments about this idea: have I missed
something about the way PDF files with TeX math mode in the
text strings should be created, and is this solution reasonably
straightforward?

Subject to any comments I would take a look at generating a
patch to implement this.