Re: GSoc sisotool project

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: GSoc sisotool project
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:21:17 -0400

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Santiago León <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Santiago León <address@hidden> wrote:

I have moved this to a new title

>Well I have been looking on the problem with rlocus and it seems to be the same >issue described here https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2012->March/050840.html the way it is currently being made makes it so that the window >is created with visible as off in the begining, after it is completely drawn it is turned >on, it seems fltk does not draw anything while the window is off changing line 288 >of rlocus.m from set (gcf,"visible","off"); to et (gcf,"visible","on"); fixes the issue and >makes it work on both gnuplot and fltk.

Yes it does, but it was turned off while all the changes were made to minimize the flickering of the screen.
 I thing a good compromise is to plot the graph and then turn visibility off for the rest of the changes.

    hplt = plot (args{:});
    set (gcf,"visible","off");
    set (hplt(kk--), "markersize", 2);

or add the axes command before we turn it off

    axes;
    set (gcf,"visible","off");
    hplt = plot (args{:});
    set (hplt(kk--), "markersize", 2);

Both of these seem to get rlocus working again.

>As of the project idea, am I going to be coding m files based on the ui functions that >already exist? because i understand an effort is being made to create a good gui >framework based on Qt, does this involve changing these ui functions to some that >implement Qt instead of fltk or gnuplot? or is it just focused on the main GUI? I ask >this because maybe I could help more in improving this ui functions than creating >some tool that might have to get migrated to some new ui functions in the future.>

I think the consensus is to use the uiXXX functions for now.

I think that there is lots of work to get the sisotool fully working, and this might include improving the uiXXX functions.

Doug

--
DAS

So, in what do you think I must focus my project? because I still am not sure of how much I can get done during the summer. I am thinking the main part of the project would be the possibility to add controller poles and zeros and being able to drag them as well as the gain, should I spend some time before improfing the uiXXX functions too?

Please reply to all so the other octave maintainers can help us.

1)  Dragging the poles and zeros, on rlocus and bode plots, and then  redrawing each open window is top priority
2)  adding and deleting poles and zeros by using the mouse
3)  editing the plant or controller in a special window

being able to display
 rlocus
 bode
 step
 impulse
? nichols plot
  nyquist plot
etc.

--

I updated my proposal at Melange to reflect the priorities suggested. Do I have to copy all the information I wrote in my profile on Octave's wiki to Melange because as I see the private template is much shorter than the public one, I am affraid my proposal will be seen as lacking information.

It will mainly be me  with input from the octave group that decides if you get accepted
or not. You have to meet google's requirements but after that it will mainly be me. You have to convince me(us) that you are able and willing to do the work, and that you will stick around the octave scene and help maintain your work as well as help improve octave. We don't want to have someone who is only here for the money.

--
DAS