Re: [RFC] Integrating High-precision arithmetic into Octave Core ?

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: [RFC] Integrating High-precision arithmetic into Octave Core ?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:48:11 -0700 (PDT)

Georgios Ouzounis wrote
> On 21 March 2014 16:32, fgnievinski <

> fgnievinski@

> > wrote:
> To argue a little in favour of creating a new type and embedding it on
> Octave's core ... the main gain would be that if a new basic type is
> successfully created, then a good deal of already existent Octave's
> functions will be able to work upon multiple precision numbers.
>
> As far as the language to be used is concerned, it is going to be mainly
> C++ and if we the need comes up we might use .m files.

I fail to see how this reuse is possible -- you cannot input
arbitrary-precision numbers to BLAS/LAPACK or any other library used
internally by Octave.  Thus method/operator overloading seems inevitable.
The only question is at what level that is going to happen.  I'm arguing for
overloading at the Octave level.  You seem to prefer overloading at the C++
level.  Notice if you do the former, you can still implement any individual
method in C++ via MEX.

-F.