Re: [RFC] Integrating High-precision arithmetic into Octave Core ?

From: Georgios Ouzounis
Subject: Re: [RFC] Integrating High-precision arithmetic into Octave Core ?
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 18:18:09 +0200

On 21 March 2014 17:48, fgnievinski <address@hidden> wrote:
>I fail to see how this reuse is possible -- you cannot input
>arbitrary-precision numbers to BLAS/LAPACK or any other library used
>internally by Octave.  Thus method/operator overloading seems inevitable.
>The only question is at what level that is going to happen.  I'm arguing for
>overloading at the Octave level.  You seem to prefer overloading at the C++
>level.  Notice if you do the former, you can still implement any individual
>method in C++ via MEX.

-F.

Felipe,

I am quoting what Pascal Dupuis wrote as a comment under my proposal on Google melange site, answering one of your questions :

"what I would like to have as basic property about those MP values is that they become some kind of "float-on-steroids" which are transparently handled by .m file. If some algorithm does not make any distinction between float and doubles, and return some floating point number with the same accuracy (significant digits) as its input values; it should unmodified exhibit the same behaviour for MP value. This implies that MP become some basic octave class. A number of functions choke when the input data are of type "class"."

That is what I want to achieve! I clearly don't have all the answers yes, and that is why I am asking other core developers to assist on this project if they are willing to.  The question is, can you see that happening? Can you see that happening in the three month period of GSoC? I have never worked on an open source project before, so I am pretty bad at estimating the time needed for such a project! That is why I am asking for your expertise on the subject!

Georgios Ouzounis.