Help with axes 'layer' property

From: Rik
Subject: Help with axes 'layer' property
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:13:43 -0700

4/15/14

I think Octave has the axes 'layer' property exactly reversed.  The values,
'top' and 'bottom', seem to refer not to the axes object but to the
children of the axes object.  So, when you set the layer property to 'top'
you are really putting the child objects in front of the axes object and
placing the axes object at the bottom.

If someone can run this example on Matlab and report back I would be grateful.

plot (1:10, '-or', 'linewidth', 6);
set (gca, 'xminorgrid', 'on', 'minorgridlinestyle', '-');
get (gca, 'layer')
## What is the default?  Should be bottom.
set (gca, 'layer', 'bottom')
## Is the red line in front of, or behind, the black minor grid lines?
set (gca, 'layer', 'top')
## Now, is the red line in front of, or behind, the black minor grid lines?

Thanks,
Rik