Re: GSoC - fem-fenics project

From: Eugenio Gianniti
Subject: Re: GSoC - fem-fenics project
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:56:58 +0000

On 23 Apr 2014, at 09:04, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:45 PM, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear all,

thanks for accepting my proposal for this year Google Summer of Code.

I am looking forward to working on it, so I would be glad to hear your suggestions about what to study to be perfectly ready on the “D-Day”. I think I should read the whole documentation of last year work as a starting point, then probably get a deep understanding of the interface between Octave and FEniCS. Probably Marco can give me some good hints about this and provide useful advice on anything important I did not mention.

Kind regards,
Eugenio

Hi Eugenio,

congratulation for being accepted as a GSOC student!

I think that you should start introducing yourself on the FEniCS mailing list and setting up your blog where you will show us your progress weekly.

I introduced myself on the FEniCS project’s mailing list and set up my blog, here is the link:

Then it would be a good idea to give a look at:
- the FeniCS documentation (chapter 10 of this book [1])
- chapter 3 of the fem-fenics documentation [2]

Once that you have understood FEniCS and the Octave interface you should try to implement
one of the function which is currently available in FEniCS but not in Octave; in this way you can familiarize yourself with the program and we can be sure that you will be ready to start working on the 19th of May.
We can discuss about the specific function to implement once that you have read the documentation.

I went through the documentation suggested, from tomorrow on I will look for a suitable function, unless you prefer to point out one you find important or useful to test my skills.

Kindly,
Eugenio

We should also give you write access to the Fem-fenics directory but I don't know how to do it.
Can anyone help about this?

thanks

Marco