[GSoC] Development repository

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: [GSoC] Development repository
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:32:48 +0200

Hi Eduardo,

Regarding your development repository you should maintain an own copy of the official Octave repository. For example last year Jordi was nice to provide us a repository [1]. But as we have discussed in IRC you can also use another public service with free plans like Google-Code or Bitbucket. For the latter one you should repeat the following steps in order to setup your repository:

1. Create a new _public_ repository at Bitbucket, e.g. "myoctave", assumed account there is "myLogin"
2. Clone the official Octave repository to somewhere on your filesystem.

hg clone http://www.octave.org/hg/octave

3. Rename the "octave" folder to "myoctave" (maybe unnecessary, just to avoid confusion)
4. Edit "myoctave/.hg/hgrc"

[paths]
default = http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
gsoc-dev = https://address@hidden/myLogin/myoctave

5. Edit "myoctave/.hgsub"

gnulib-hg = http://www.octave.org/hg/octave/gnulib-hg

This should do all the trick. Now push to your development repository

hg push gsoc-dev

Now you can start your project. Another must reads are [2] and [3]. This will make it easier for others to follow your development process. Please can you give me feedback about the success of this procedure? If so I will extend [2] about this way of creating a development repository.

Best,
Kai

[1] http://inversethought.com/hg/octave-kai/
[2] http://wiki.octave.org/Hg_instructions_for_mentors