Re: participating in Octave

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: participating in Octave
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 08:23:36 +0200

Il 06/mag/2014 07:28 "Tom Van Steenkiste" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Dear all
>

> I've seen the mail concerning the GNU Octave project for SOCIS. And I'm very interested in participating in this project this summer.

Welcome!

I'm a computer science engineering student currently enrolled in third bachelor year at the university of Ghent. My main interests are the projects with mathematical background and C++ programming, especially the projects concerning matrices.

> This would be the first time I've worked on Octave. However, I'm very keen to learn. Would this be a problem?

No that is not a problem.
Se usually ask new applicants to to introduce themselves and demonstrate their coding skills by contributing a fix to some Octave bug.

Given tour background AMD interests i would suggest you try this one:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?34850

Do you think you could work on that?

I've also checked the timeline(http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis/?q=timeline)  and since I still have some exams until the 19th of June, would it perhaps be possible to end in September instead of August?

Last year the project starter with 3 months delay due to some accounting issues at ESA so i guess there is some flexibility. This should ne intentended reciprocally though: you should ne ready to work for 3 full months even if there is some delay that causes the project to overlap with your semestre start.
Would you OK with that?

> I would love to be able to join the project this summer. Are there any specific projects listed in Octave I can choose at the university of Ghent or are all projects available?

Showing your ability to build a reasonable plan for a project is parte of the selection processo so look at the project ideas on the wiki page for inspiration and start diacussing what you would like to work on.

> Many thanks
>

> With kind regards
>
> Tom Van Steenkiste

Good luck,