lsode modifies the state contained in global or persistent variables

From: Olaf Till
Subject: lsode modifies the state contained in global or persistent variables
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 20:53:55 +0200

There is a bug which can occur if a user assigns the state passed to a
user-function by lsode to a global or a persistent variable (which I
at least do sometimes to debug failed integrations). Detailed

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42348

The fix could either be making globals and persistents always copies
of data, or making lsode (and possibly other solvers) pass the state
as data-copies to user functions. I'd like to suggest to discuss which
is better.

If the right way is clear, I probably could make the patches (if this
helps at all, since probably JWE could do it in one tenth of the time
and he'd have to review my code anyway).

Olaf