Re: Trying to install the java package.

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Trying to install the java package.
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:07:13 -0700 (PDT)

Geoffry Roberts wrote
> All,
>
> What can I do?
>
> I have just installed the binary version of Octave on my OSX machine.
> Following the instructions, I checked for the java package
>
>>> pkg list
>
> showed java 1.2.9 was installed
>
> I tried
>
>>> s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")
>
> error: javaObject: Octave was not compiled with Java interface
>
> I did
>
>>> pkg uninstall java
>
>>> setenv ("JAVA_HOME",
> "/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_55.jdk/Contents/Home")
>
>>> pkg install -forge java
>
> Error while trying to install Java package:
>
> JAVA_HOME environment variable does not properly point to a JDK
>
>   Hint:
>
>   JAVA_HOME should usually be set such that either:
>
>   (on *nix:)
>

> <JAVA_HOME>
> /jre/lib/
> <arch>
> /client/ contains libjvm.so (file or symlink)
>
>   (on OSX:)
>

> <JAVA_HOME>
> /../Libraries/ contains a file libclient.dylib
>

> I did the following because it is the only jdk I have installed that
> has libclient.dylib
> in it:
>

>>> setenv ("JAVA_HOME",
> "/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Libraries")
>

> Then I did:
>
>>> pkg install -forge java
>
> ./configure: line 3257: test: -n: integer expression expected
>
> configure: WARNING: this package requires at least Java-1.5
>
> warning: function /Users/gcr/octave/java-1.2.9/errordlg.m shadows a core
> library function
>

> But when I try:
>

>>> s = javaObject ("java.lang.String", "Hello OctaveString")
>
> error: javaObject: Octave was not compiled with Java interface
>

> I'm back to where I started from.
>

> What can I do?  Is there a manual install I can do?
>
> I have:
>
> OSX 10.9.2
> java 1.7.0_55
> octave 3.8.0
>
> Snip>
>
> My software always runs perfectly in the end. If it is not yet perfect, it
> is not yet the end.

Not quite :-)

Last summer someone managed to install the OF Java package under OSX on
Octave-3.6.x (search the ML, I think it was Pascal Dupuis).

However, in 3.8.0 the OF Java package cannot be installed anymore, as Java
support became a core Octave feature rather than an add-on. IOW, Java has to
be built in during building Octave itself. TTBOMK no one has succeeded doing
that for OSX yet.
Maybe you can try building Octave from scratch and include Java along the
way outlined in the thread mentioned above.
Other than that, I'm afraid you're SOL.

Philip