Re: Introduction and SoCiS

From: Jacopo Corno
Subject: Re: Introduction and SoCiS
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 11:53:40 +0200

> On 6 May 2014, at 09:55, Jacopo Corno <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I read that Octave will participate to SoCiS 2014 and I would be really
>> interested in giving my contribution.
>>
>> I will start by introducing myself: I got a Master degree in
>> Mathematical
>> Engineering at Politecnico di Milano and I am currently enrolled as a
>> PhD
>> student at TU-Darmstadt.
>> In the last couple of years my main interest has been Isogeometric
>> Analysis and I developed my applications (and still do!) with Octave. I
>> worked, in particular, with the NURBS toolbox and GeoPDEs package (I had
>> the possibility to collaborate with Carlo de Falco.
>> I also have some experience with C++ coding since I worked for some
>> months
>> on a C++ library analogous to GeoPDEs.
>>
>> I think that participating to SoCiS would be a great possibility of
>> improving my programming skills and of getting involved with Octave
>> community, so I would love to be able to join the project this summer.
>>
>> I read the project list on the wiki page and I would be interested in
>> taking care of the ODE solvers in Octave core. I think it would be of
>> interest for a wide variety of users and, more personally, I could find
>> it
>> useful for my PhD.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> best regards,
>> Jacopo Corno
>>
>> PS: I apologize for the mail that I just sent. It was clearly an error.
>
> Jacopo,
>
> As I wrote to other candidates, we like to see some patch submeitted by
> candidates to help us evaluate their skills.
>
> It seems that one outstanding issue with Roberto's overhaul of odepkg
> was that some tests that where present in the previous version were
> removed.
>
> Could you work on fixing this issue and send a patch for evaluation?
>
> c.

Dear Carlo,

I did have a look at Roberto's code and I already added the tests of the
previous version to the 0de45 solver. I had to fix some minor bugs but
everything seems to be working fine now.

This was also useful to start understanding the current state of the code.
>From my understanding the only options not implemented yet are
'NormControl' and 'MaxStep'. Fixing this could for sure be part of SoCiS
project. I will sum up my ideas for what could be the rest of my
contribution as soon as possible and I will send you the link to the wiki
with the public application.

I believe the easiest way for me to submit my changes could be to have
access to Roberto's repository. Is this possible or is there a better
solution?

best regards
Jacopo

--