serialization of built-in datatypes

From: Andreas Weber
Subject: serialization of built-in datatypes
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 22:10:16 +0200

Dear maintainers,

I wrote a serialize function (https://github.com/octave-de/serialize) to
get a string representation of built in datatypes which can be retrieved
with "eval". The intended purpose is to serialize objects for
transmission over byte-stream channels (serial, tcp...) or for storage
in databases while perserve the readability by humans(in contrast to the
usage of typecast(x, "uint8" for example).

I think many OF packages for database or networking could benefit from it.

You can see the currently supported datatypes/constructs in the test
secion of https://github.com/octave-de/serialize/blob/master/serialize.m

The documentation is missing and will be added soon. I should also have
a deeper look at the functions with malicious code injection in mind.

Any feedback and suggestions highly appreciated.

-- Andy