Re: [fem-fenics] Goals for the evaluations

From: Marco Vassallo
Subject: Re: [fem-fenics] Goals for the evaluations
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 23:41:15 +0200

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:

On 19 May 2014, at 18:26, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:

On 19 May 2014, at 12:58, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:

I added a new post [1] with an example and submitted a second patch [2] adding a Python-like interface. Let me know what you think of it.

Eugenio

Hi Eugenio,

thank you very much for your post, it explains well the new function (next time please add also a plot so that it is more colorful).

About the second version of your code:
1) it is really good, congrats!
2) I would change only the order of the input parameter:
   - first argument the function or the _expression_ that has to be interpolated
   - 2nd argument the functionspace or the function where the first argument has to be interpolated
I think you used something different in order to be compliant with the c++ and the python interface at the same time, but it is a little bit counterintuitive!
What do you think about it?

As today GSOC starts, we should clearly define the goal for midterm and final evaluation.
Do we have any news from FEniCS or any suggestion on how they could be integrated??

Currently I do not have news by their side. I have a couple of preliminary ideas:
  - in fem-fenics there is little support for a quick post-processing directly in Octave. I would add some functions addressing this aspect, like norm [1], the arithmetic operators between Functions [2] and other similar ones.
  - in the devel directory there are three examples, I assume they are not currently ready for distribution. If the problem is that there are missing functionalities I can add them. Obviously, I can also just finish to implement the examples themselves.

In any case, I am going through the FEniCS book to figure out the most pressing necessities and will report shortly.

Actually I think that the most important feature to add is the possibility to avoid the ufl file integrating it as a function of the pkg, as we had already discussed. That would be a major changes for fem-fenics, and all the examples and a part of the documentation should be rewritten accordingly. later, there will be time for adding functions and examples.

This morning I wrote a first draft of the ufl.m function. Are you suggesting that adding this functionality with all the changes related to it can make up for the first evaluation? Or that it is just part of it?

This could be a good starting point. So if you feel that you are ready to start with it, please go on. Remember to ask here on the list if you have some doubt and not only to show the code once that it has been done.

Marco