Re: Performance hit with --enable-atomic-refcount

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Performance hit with --enable-atomic-refcount
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 16:16:56 -0400

On 06/06/2014 01:40 PM, Rik wrote:
6/6/14

All,

 From the previous benchmarking, there was a doubling in execution time from
3.8.1 to the gui-release branch for a nested for loop.  It turns out that
this doubling is 100% correlated with using the --enable-atomic-refcount
option to configure.  I built the gui-release branch with this feature
disabled and the results are then equivalent to the 3.8.1 release.  It
seems like we need to explore a different solution than this configure
option so that we can both use Qt graphics and have reasonable performance.

Here are the results I see. I used default configure options in both cases except for specifying --prefix and --disable-atomic-refcount in one build. I also used cputime instead of tic/toc, but that shouldn't be too important if your system is mostly idle when you run the tests.

  with atomic refcount:     ~ 1.60 CPU seconds
  without atomic refcount:  ~ 1.25 CPU seconds

So I see a performance hit, but it is not a factor of 2. I remember that we had some significant differences between our results the last time we looked at this, but the test then was running the test suite, not just a single nested for loop with an addition expression.

I'm using gcc version 4.8.2 (Debian 4.8.2-1) on an amd64 system. I didn't try to fix the CPU frequency as I'm not sure how to do that.