Re: [fem-fenics] Parallelism

From: Marco Vassallo
Subject: Re: [fem-fenics] Parallelism
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 12:55:41 +0200

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:38 PM, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:

On 24 May 2014, at 18:14, Marco Vassallo <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Eugenio Gianniti <address@hidden> wrote:

On the patch tracker there is also a new patch correcting the help message [1], and you can find on my blog a post about the function [2].

Hi Eugenio,
thanks for your blog post. The new ufl function does a great job.
You can update some of the examples on the wiki page accordingly, before starting a new part of your project.

I think that one of the main feature which is still missing in fem-fenics is the possibility of parallelizing the resolution of a problem. Please give a look at the documentation (Octave and Fenics) and propose some ideas on how we could address this issue. I haven't looked at the problem in deep yet, but I think that you have shown us to be good enough to deal with such an issue. Don't hesitate to ask for help here on the list and also on the FeniCs webmail.

I am working on adding the OpenMP parallelisation paradigm to fem-fenics. I should, then, use the -fopenmp option to compile the oct-files. It turns out that mkoctfile only accepts a subset of the compiler flags that, for instance, g++ allows. In particular, all flags starting with -f are excluded. Is there an issue with such options preventing them to be passed to mkoctfile?

Please give a look at this post and see if it can be helpful [1].

Hi Eugenio,

thanks for your new post. You should mention that the parallelism is not abandoned, but that the technical difficulties  encountered with OpenMP forced us to switch to MPI, which will be the second part of the GSOC.

Marco